Re: [evolution-disc.] Andy's Top Ten Autox Driving Tips

To: Evolution <evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Andy's Top Ten Autox Driving Tips
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:49:32 -0500
I agree 100% with almost all of what Andy said.  And the one I don't
totally agree with is similar.....

At 10:43 AM 3/11/02, Andy Hollis wrote:

>10) Scan ahead, don't stare.  Keep the eyes moving.  Looking ahead does not
>mean staring ahead.  Your eyes must be constantly moving forward and back,
>and sometimes left and right.  Glance forward, glance back.  Your brain can
>only operate on the information you give it.

I try and get folks to not move their eyes around much.  Here's
why....  99% of the time, when someone's eyes are dancing it's not because
they are looking ahead and farther ahead.  Normally they are looking ahead
a little (because we are on their case), but then drop the eyes off the
hood of the car to "make sure they are where they need to be".  It's too
late to matter, but they do it anyway.  :-D

*IF* you are really looking ahead properly, and you know that because you
are not feeling rushed (or that impending feeling of doom), then I would
agree that you then have the ability, and time to scan further down the
road (but again, in my experience the scanning is usually done from the
maneuver back to the hood).

Let's remember that is takes a fair amount of time to refocus on something
(especially something closer).  When you drop you eyes and raise them over
an over, you *really* don't know where you are headed exactly.  Looking
around a bend in traffic and then back to a few cars in front is easy
(which would be the equivilent of what Andy means).  But look down off the
hood, and then ahead.  That is not easy, it takes time, and as Andy
mentioned the car goes where the hands go, and the hands follow the eyes..

So, if you feel rushed, you aren't looking ahead.  And you aren't alone.  I
have to tell myself while I'm driving to turn my head (and not look back
once I've committed).

Sam Strano Jr.
Strano Performance Parts
www.stranoparts.com