Boxster S reclassification

To: evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com (Evolution Discussion),
Subject: Boxster S reclassification
From: TeamZ06@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 09:26:34 EDT
Regarding the Boxster S reclassification:

First, the Boxster S has proven to be competitive with the Mazda RX7TT.  If
the intention is to move the Boxster S to AS, then the Mazda RX7TT has to go
there too.  Combined with the C4 Corvettes, now you have reconstituted the
old SS, less the C5 Corvettes; but wait.  The std C5 Corvette (non-Z06) and
the Boxster S have proven to be competitive, so we should also then allow
non-Z06 C5's to reclassify to AS too.  We can then replace the SS class
letters with Z06; but wait.  All the cars in the class will be badged with
Z06 lettering so there's no need for class letters.  Now that's what I call
simplification!

Second, in the realm of Solo2 competiton there are very few Boxster S
vehicles.  It's not hard to understand why.  Only the most ardent
Porsche-phile is going to spend $55k for a Boxster S, the rest of society
looks at a Z06 Corvette for $45k or less and says "Wow, what a car" and
proceeds to cash in their 401k plan, take out a 2nd mortgage, and let the
kids pay their own way through college.  The Boxster S is a vehicle with
limited access and participation for Solo2.  Doesn't the SEB have more
pressing priorities than worrying about whether or not a minority vehicle is
a slight underdog in it's Solo2 Stock class?  Do we really want to go there?

My opinion is no, leave the Boxster S in Super Stock.

Mark Sipe