Kosei K1 Lugs/Tire Rack

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Kosei K1 Lugs/Tire Rack
From: Andrew Schmiechen <aschmiechen@discovercolor.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:10:06 -0500
I just bought some new Kosei K1's for my Acura from Tire Rack.  The lug nuts
they sent me fit fine, the width and length of the threading is correct.
However, OEM from Acura the lug is a 19mm nut outside.  The lugs Tire Rack
sent me have a 17mm nut.  I called Tire Rack thinking they could just send
me some new lugs with a 19mm nut size, but the rep insisted that the bolt
size was too big for the Kosei and I'd have fitment problems.  Does this rep
know what she's talking about?  I've never thought that the outside nut size
would make any difference to lug fitment unless it didn't fit in the holes
on the wheel (which the Kosei doesn't have any).

By the way, I put the Kosei's on last night using the lugs from my BBS
wheels which have the exact same thread and length but have the outside nut
size of 19mm.  Don't seem to have a problem with fitment.

While it may not seem like that big of a deal, this means I'd have to go out
and buy a new impact socket for 17mm, buy a socket for the torque wrench,
and keep a breaker bar with another 17mm in the trunk in case I get a flat.
Plus, I still need to carry a 19mm wrench because the spare takes that.

So, does the rep at Tire Rack know what she's talking about?

-A.