Re: Autocrossers attacked by e-mail worm

To: Bill Fuhrmann <fuhrmann@cpinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Autocrossers attacked by e-mail worm
From: Alan Dahl <alandahl@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:01:26 -0700
On Wednesday, August 20, 2003, at 03:36  PM, Bill Fuhrmann wrote:
> Apparently someone out there has been in an isolation booth for the
> past year
> or so.
>
> They OPENED an attachement to a message without verifying what it was.
> If you open these messages, everyone that you have e-mail from or in
> your
> address book gets hit with the garbage.
>
> If you don't KNOW FOR CERTAIN that it wasn't you, please go out to the
> antivirus sites and check out how the currently popular one spreads
> and how
> to get rid of it. I'd post more specific instructions but don't have
> the
> time to go out and do your work for you right now.

That virus has really been getting around, I get about 5-10 messages an
hour addressed to our local Miata email list (thankfully blocked by the
server and the bounces filtered into a special mailbox on my computer).
  I sent out the following email to the members of my list, the same
instructions would be helpful to anyone on team.net:

> It appears that someone who is either currently or was subscribed to
> this list (or who has recently viewed the club web page) with a
> Windows computer is infected with the "W32.Sobig F" virus and is
> sending emails to this list (thankfully filtered by smartlist)
> attempting to pass the virus on. Unfortunately the virus masks the
> email address of the sender making it impossible for me to identify
> who it is. On the chance that the person is still subscribed to the
> list I am sending this message.
>
> *Please* do not be alarmed, I am just covering my bases and with the
> recent MSBlaster virus problems I figure it's better to be safe than
> sorry. The list has not been compromised and no one besides myself
> should see these virus emails through the list. This virus has been
> spreading rapidly so the chance that you may receive it though other
> means is getting higher though.
>
> Please note that if your computer is an Apple or Linux machine you can
> stop reading here, the problem only affects Windows machines.
>
> For more information on this virus and how to remove the infection go
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/
> w32.sobig.f@mm.html
>
> Please do not be alarmed if you don't understand "computer stuff".
> However I highly recommend that all subscribers on this list install
> some sort of anti-virus software and regularly run your computer's
> software update function to keep your software up-to-date with the
> latest patches. Also do *not* open attachments that have not been
> scanned and approved by your anti-virus software.

I'll bite my tongue and not suggest that the only sure way of making
sure you aren't hit by the virus of the week is to buy a Mac :-).

- Alan Dahl