14" performance tires?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: 14" performance tires?
From: Alan Dahl <alandahl@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:14:14 -0800
The Yokohama AVS-intermediates on my '90 Miata are getting worn out and
I'll soon have to replace them. Problem is Yokohama has discontinued
the tire (I am on my 4th set) so I'll have to buy something different.
Performance (H-rated or better) tires in the 185/60-14 size are getting
rare though so I thought I'd ask for suggestions. I'm considering the
Yokohama ES-100 of course but I have a set on my other car and find
them less of a performance tire than the AVS-I. Fine for a 4-door sedan
but not what I want on a sports car.

The only other high-performance tire in a 14" size on the Tire Rack's
web site is the Sumitomo HTR 200. Anyone have experience with this
tire? The reviews are generally favorable and the price ($36) is great
but the tire and brand are a total unknown to me.

Any other suggestions? I'd consider the Falken Azenis but it only comes
in a 195-60/14 which I worry could hurt the gearing too much (I've
heard rumors there may be more sizes next year but that doesn't help me
now). Any tires I'm forgetting? Toyo? Pirelli?

Thanks,

- Alan Dahl

Alan Dahl                                                 email:
alandahl@mac.com
Federal Way, WA, USA                         ICQ: 52688023
http://homepage.mac.com/alandahl