Re: BMW suspension questions

To: ThoughtBoxLabs@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: BMW suspension questions
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:59:33 -0500
At 06:55 PM 1/12/2004 -0500, ThoughtBoxLabs@aol.com wrote:

>I have priced out front struts and rear shocks; I have found OEM for 249
>each front, 79 each rear.  Aftermarket:  Bilstein sport for 209 each
>front, 134 each rear.  I hear the Bilsteins would give me a harsher ride
>but not much more than stock.  I would like to retain stock road manners
>and don't plan on racing this car.  However, I am a big fan of upgrading
>parts if it is to increase part life/durability.  Which is the way to
>go?  Does anyone have suggestions for alternatives?  Any info is
>appreciated.  Thanks!

Before we get into the shocks, and the ride......  Just so you know, we
sell the M3 Sport Bilsteins for $205 and $131 front and rear
respectively.  :D  FWIW an all.

I think it's a no brainer which way to go.  With the Bilstein, you get a
damper with a lifetime warranty.  You get a damper that's valved sportier,
and if you autox that's what most of us like.  That doesn't mean it's
punishing, but they are firm and have better control than stock
shocks.  And you save $$$ too.

The only alternative is maybe Koni.  There are some thing you need to know
here.  First, the fronts are $165 each, rears $128 each.  They are Koni
Sports (yellow).  Fronts are externally adjustable, rears are not and have
to be removed for adjustment.  Also, the fronts are inserts that fit into
the stock BMW strut housing, whereas the Bilstein's are complete struts.

Given similar damping, the Bilstein's will ride a touch better.  However,
with Koni's you have the ability to tweak the response/control/ride to your
liking.  Either one is a good choice.  But considering the fact this is not
a race car, and the extra labor (not bad but it extra) to install the Koni
inserts, and the fact they are not easily adjustable in the rear..... I'd
choose the Bilstein.  MHO of course.

Sam Strano Jr.
Strano Performance Parts
www.stranoparts.com