Re: BMW suspension questions

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: BMW suspension questions
From: aqn@panix.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:14:25 -0500 (EST)
ThoughtBoxLabs@aol.com wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am usually a lurker but I know there are a lot of bimmer guys on this board
>so I have a question.  I have a 97 M3 sedan that I do not race.  The stock
>struts and shocks need to go.  [...]  I am not afraid to upgrade to
>aftermarket if I am getting a higher quality part, but I do not really intend
>to install any significant performance upgrades.
>
> I have priced out front struts and rear shocks; I have found OEM for 249 each
>front, 79 each rear.  Aftermarket:  Bilstein sport for 209 each front, 134
>each rear.  I hear the Bilsteins would give me a harsher ride but not much
>more than stock.  I would like to retain stock road manners and don't plan on
>racing this car.  However, I am a big fan of upgrading parts if it is to
>increase part life/durability.  Which is the way to go?  Does anyone have
>suggestions for alternatives?  Any info is appreciated.  Thanks!

  I have two points:

  o   Bilsteins have "digressive valving", where the damping is softer
      at higher damper shaft speeds (over bumps, etc.) and stiffer at
      lower shaft speeds (weight transfer during
acceleration/deceleration/cornering,
          etc.)  Digressive valving provides both good ride quality *and*
          good control of body movements.  Do Konis have digressive valving?
          I don't *think* I have read anything to that effect.

  o   It is my understanding that the adjustment on single-adjustable Konis only
      adjusts rebound damping not compression damping, so regardless
          of whether the adjustment is set to soft or stiff, the harshness over
bumps
          would be the same.

          The difference is in degree of control of body roll/pitch.
          If one side/end of the car compresses it usually mean that the
opposite
          side/end is rebounding, which would be constrained by the damper's
stiffer
          rebound setting, resulting in reduced roll/pitch).  At least, that's
          the only reason I can think of as to why adjusting only rebound
damping
          can change a car's behavior.

  For street-only cars, I would go with the Bilsteins.  I have run Bilstein HDs
  on my car (VW A3 GTI VR6) and I find them a very good compromise between
  comfort & performance, albeit too soft for autocrossing when used in
conjunction
  with "sport"-type springs (kinda half-way between stock & "race" spring
rates).
  I have also run single-adjustable Konis, but they are custom-valved, so
  I can't really comment on single-adjustable Konis' comfort/performance.

--
Andy Nguyen