BMW suspension questions

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: BMW suspension questions
From: ThoughtBoxLabs@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:55:38 -0500
Hello all,
I am usually a lurker but I know there are a lot of bimmer guys on this board
so I have a question.  I have a 97 M3 sedan that I do not race.  The stock
struts and shocks need to go.  The upper rear shock mounts are broken and I
have ordered aluminum/urethane replacements.  I am not afraid to upgrade to
aftermarket if I am getting a higher quality part, but I do not really intend
to install any significant performance upgrades.

I have priced out front struts and rear shocks; I have found OEM for 249 each
front, 79 each rear.  Aftermarket:  Bilstein sport for 209 each front, 134 each
rear.  I hear the Bilsteins would give me a harsher ride but not much more than
stock.  I would like to retain stock road manners and don't plan on racing this
car.  However, I am a big fan of upgrading parts if it is to increase part
life/durability.  Which is the way to go?  Does anyone have suggestions for
alternatives?  Any info is appreciated.  Thanks!

Will