Strut Vise?

To: evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Strut Vise?
From: Adrian Iley <iley@spokes.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:06:43 -0600
Hello All,

     I'd like to have a setup at home for changing out shocks/etc.
     I'm looking for an inexpensive solution for a Strut Vise.
     I've done an McPherson strut change in the past without a vise and
hurt myself, so I'm trying to do it right this time (within reason).

     Is a pipe yoke (like the following) sufficient?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=8890
     If protecting the paint/metal is an issue, wrapping emery cloth
(rough side out) around the strut before clamping?

     Any drawbacks with this, or other ideas/suggestions?
     I'd prefer to keep it affordable.

- Adrian Iley (iley@spokes.org)