Re: Strut Vise?

To: "Eric Linnhoff" <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>
Subject: Re: Strut Vise?
From: Adrian Iley <iley@spokes.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 01:21:52 -0600
On Jan 16, 2004, at 12:26 AM, Eric Linnhoff wrote:

> What exactly are you trying to do?  Install your old springs onto new
> shocks/struts?
Yes, for the medium term it would be old springs onto new struts, and
swap them when I need a rebuild/re-valve. Maybe eventually get to the
point where I may be able to re-valve my new struts.

> Here's the tools I use when I did this twice each year with my OE
> shocks.
> Less than $100 total cash layout for tools assuming you already have
> basic
> hand tools.
> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43753
Just bought that one for $29.99 as it was recently on sale. Just
arrived yesterday :).
Looked much better than the piece of junk I borrowed from PepBoys last
year.

The manual mentions that you should always use a Strut Vise with the
tool :) I don't mind skipping that, as long as it is still fairly safe
to do so.

> (which beats the proverbial pants off of these
> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3980)
Glad to hear, guess I made a good choice.

> and
> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45252
> to loosen/tighten the top nuts.
Don't have one of those, it might be convenient. I've been using my
large torque wrench.

> My procedure went as follows.
> The top nut stays in the impact socket and the rest of the strut
> shoots a
> few feet across the floor the other way (old grocery sacks filled with
> old
> newspapers make good wall cushions) while the spring stays under your
> foot.
> (And please don't tell me you're worried about scratching your old
> struts as
> they slide across the floor.  They're freaking suspension parts and as
> such
> get pelted with rocks, sand, salt and water every day of their life.)

I'm not too sure I like the idea of turning my Koni's into a
projectile. I'd rather compress the springs first.

Where I have gotten hurt before, it was either loosening or tightening
the top nut. My factory service manual says to use a taped up
screwdriver to hold the spring perch. Well, I did that and the
screwdriver slipped and gauged my thumb. That took up most of my day
waiting around in the emergency room.

The manual simply says "Using a screwdriver to hold the spring seat,
remove the nut. HINT: Tape the screwdriver before use.". But now, a
year later, I look at the picture and I see that the screwdriver is
being held by a regular Vise (rather than by hands). No warnings were
given.

Eric, thanks for the info, all of the procedural details and info on
things to avoid are appreciated.

-Adrian Iley (iley@spokes.org)