Re: Strut Vise?

To: <iley@spokes.org>
Subject: Re: Strut Vise?
From: <ralph@NARS.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 15:08:05 -0800 (PST)
> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:06:43 -0600
> From: Adrian Iley <iley@spokes.org>
> Subject: Strut Vise?
>
> Hello All,
>
>     I'd like to have a setup at home for changing out shocks/etc. I'm
>     looking for an inexpensive solution for a Strut Vise.

I made mine.  Works pretty well; it's sturdy, non-marring, cheap, and
holds the strut at a good working height.  The _only_ downside is that
it's not quite quick-release - but I'm not being paid by the hour.
I was using one of those Workmate benches (kinda Ok), when I realized that
the stock shocks are just a _little_ bit wider than a 2x4,I started
looking around my garage and my eyes settled on sawhorses.
I have the kind of sawhorses that have steel legs and a 2x4 clamped in as
the top cross piece.  So I hunted for some scrap lumber and ended up
replacing that 2x4 with a 4-foot 2x6 (for a little more stiffness/contact
area), a coupla 10-inch 2x4s in between for spacers with a 2-inch gap
between them for the shock to fit in, then used a 2-foot 2x4 to clamp on
the other side.  Then I went down to Racer's Supply Hardware (OSH), bought
4 hefty 7-inch carriage bolts, some washers, some big wingnuts, clamped it
together, drilled some holes, bolted it all together and - Shock Vice.
lousy ascii top view   v v v v v v v

-------|--|------|--|--------  <-- 2x6
     --|--|--  --|--|--        <-- 2x4s w/space for shock between
     --|--|------|--|--        <-- longer 2x4
       |  |      |  |

       ^  ^      ^  ^
bolts--^--^------^--^

I've used this quite a bit and haven't yet wanted to redesign it. And to
top it off, it all folds up and sits in the corner of the garage when I
don't need it.
 /-AscendSoapBox/
MORE IMPORTANT - Get a good spring compressor. You don't know how easy
this is to do with a good spring compressor.  Or borrow/use somebody
else's. (I do lend mine to anyone in the local Sacramento/Bay area that
wants to borrow it.)I have had a few stressfull moments with the Rods O'death
before I bought
my clamshell type.  Sometimes with small diameter springs the larger ones
may be a little awkward to set up, but the ease of compression/
decompression, peace of mind, and lack of hospital bills is worth every
penny.
/-DecendSoapBox/

-RALPH-
Ralph Elder
p.s. If this makes no sense, I would be happy to send you some pictures.