Re: Funny handling

To: "Adamson, Ken" <KADAMSON@lifeline.net>
Subject: Re: Funny handling
From: Iain Mannix <mannix@rmsolo.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:49:31 -0700 (MST)
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Adamson, Ken wrote:

> Ok, that being said, here's what I have going on - hopefully some
>suspension/chassis wizzes out there will have an idea of what I should
>check....  When I accelerate, the car will pull to the left.  When I lift off,
>it pulls to the right.  Under purposeful braking, it tracks pretty much
>straight after adjusting for the right pull.  I don't think it's torque-steer,
>since this happens at very low throttle levels and under the slightest
>throttle lift.

Hi Ken - honestly, it does not sound to me that the alignment is
an issue - IMHO, if the car is that sensitive to toe, it'd pull
left OR right under acceleration/deceleration.

I'd put money on the p-side control arm being loose - when you accelerate,
the wheel tries to drive out from under the car, but it can't -
for some reason, there's slop on the P-side, and the front right
wheel effectively toes _in_ a lot, making the car pull left.

Brake, the opposite happens, car pulls right.

I've had control arm bolts come loose on Rabbits occasionally,
and that's _exactly_ what they do - step on gas, the loose wheel
toes in a LOT - | ^^^ \ - car pulls left.

Step on brake - | ^^^ / - car pulls right.

.02, worth what it is printed on, etc etc etc, but I'm guessing
something is loose - something has to be moving around.

I'd also bet that 0 toe won't make much difference; it might pull
harder left under acceleration, not quite as hard right under
deceleration, etc, but IMHO, something is moving around.

Good luck!

Iain