RE: California DMV chief wants to track all drivers with GPS

To: "Rex Tener" <rex_tener@yahoo.com>, "Randy Noll" <rnoll98@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: California DMV chief wants to track all drivers with GPS
From: "Haden, Bruce" <bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:21:24 -0800
The funny part about this "declining" revenue from gas, is the state
also
collects sales tax on gas.  With the rapid rise in prices in California
the
last few months, they are talking about what to do with the all that
extra
money, but none of that talk is about putting it back into
transportation.

Not to mention (but I will) that the sales tax applies to the excise
tax, both state and federal; they tax the tax!  Grrrr. One more reason
we're retiring to Arizona some day. When we go, I promise we'll leave
any residual Ca-type habits behind.

Bruce