Re: California DMV chief wants to track all drivers with GPS

To: "<autox@Autox.Team.Net> <autox@Autox.Team.Net>"
Subject: Re: California DMV chief wants to track all drivers with GPS
From: Alex Wirth-Cauchon <alexwc@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 13:35:32 -0500
Terry,
On Dec 2, 2004, at 12:59, Donna and Terry Cost wrote:

> Just have the yearly inspection require downloading the mileage,
> then base the inspection cost on the mileage and send the money
> directly to
> the state coffers.

Makes sense initially, but that's where things get complicated.  (While
I am not in CA I am sure there are people who have the same trouble I
would:) I live in, and my car is registered in Iowa, but the bulk of my
driving happens in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and
Minnesota where I work with a bunch of small colleges and where I try
to catch as many autocrosses (list content) as I can.  I am happy to
pay for the roads in those states through my gas consumed there (really
I am!) But I'd hate to pay for all of those miles again in Iowa because
that is where my car would be inspected (although of course Iowa
doesn't have such an inspection...)

> The OBDII can also calculate gas mileage, so we might tax
> by MPG rather than miles.  My 1967 Datsun Roadster, having no
> electronics and
> an inoperative odometer, will pay no tax at all.  I think this will
> work!!

Yes!  :-)  I like it!

Alex Wirth-Cauchon

--