Re: Heartland Park Reply

To: Lloyd Loring <LWLoring@sbcglobal.net>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Heartland Park Reply
From: pethier@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 18:03:12 +0000
From: Lloyd Loring <LWLoring@sbcglobal.net>
> I have no position on the fees and costs issues. But I do take issue
> with Heartland Park issuing public statements that the solo
> competitors will be racing at their facility. Solo is NOT racing. It
> is autocrossing. It is precision driving. It is competition. But it
> isn't racing, no matter how often the Heartland Park folks say it. No
> matter how long the owner has been an SCCA member. And no matter how
> often our own Chairman of the Board says it (July SportsCar page 8).
> Or our SCCA President says it. (August SportsCar page 8). This kind
> of talk, especially in public, is dumb.
>
> When we say we are racing, but we mean solo, we are suggesting to lot
> owners that we want to race on their parking lot. Like wheel to
> wheel? Like NASCAR? This kind of talk is a good way to lose the few
> sites we have. I object. You should too.
>
> Lloyd Loring

You are right on the button, Lloyd.  In our club, we regularly caution member
posting on our forum.  We know that anyone can get to our forum and read all
the comments there.  We want to resist any tendency for site owners and lawyers
to equate our club with racing.

It is my impression from reading the Solo rule book that this is also the
policy of the SCCA.  Variations from this by any SCCA official in any media are
unfortunate.

Sorry, Charlie, but perceptions tend to be reality.  SCCA does engage in
racing.  Therefore, SCCA ought to make a clear line between the two sports to
support the efforts of its Regions to secure proper sites for Solo events.

--
Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul Minnesota  USA
1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban,