Re: Heartland Park Reply

To: rocky@tri.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Heartland Park Reply
From: smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:50:05 -0400
Rocky writes (in part):

<<  Racing, by definition, is two or more entities competing *at the same time
on the same course* trying to get to the finish before the other guy -- whether
an Olympic footrace or 200 mph NASCAR sedans. A time trial is not racing. It is
merely trying to see how fast you can go WITHOUT the hazards of someone else
alongside or in the way. Solo is a time trial. Skiers may call what they do a
race, but they are still trying to beat a time, not get to the finish before
the other guy, and we are not bound by their faulty terminology. The only true
ski races are side-by-side slaloms and Nordic races where everyone starts
together. By that token, a Pro Solo (only the finale!) could be termed a race,
but we are wiser not to do so as not doing so keeps us in the realm of solo's
typical lack of risk.  >>

One of my dictionaries defines "race" as a "speed trial", another as "a
competition of speed" and none of them mention the proximity of one contestant
to another.  I'll side with Mr. Julow.

Charlie

All on demand. Always Free.