Re: SFR Calendar for 2001 is posted

To: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: SFR Calendar for 2001 is posted
From: Jim Ochi <jochi@ricochet.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:05:49 -0800
At 03:00 PM 12/18/2000 -0500, John Kelly wrote:

>         While you may prefer the present Marina site* over other sites, the
>goal is scheduling events as close to the Bay Area as possible, to provide
>as many events as possible to our members in a convenient location. By
>having events inside the Bay Area, more people get interested in the game
>and, eventually, some of them seek other venues.
>         Without us keeping events inside the Bay Area, the sport shrinks.
>         With fewer people attending events, several things happen:
>                 1) we don't clear as much money to buy equipment, trophies,
>etc.; (which is why we raised the entry fee beginning in 1999); and
>                 2) the clubs in outlying areas also lose attendance because
>their base comes from the Bay Area population center. Catch 22.

I have a question regarding this.  At the steering committee meetings that
I've attended, one of the main concerns that we've been dealing with is
that we have too many participants at our events.  Thus, the decisions to
limit attendance by making the SFR events members only, and then to only
allow card-carrying members.  Yet, it appears that the goal of event
scheduling is to provide many events inside of the Bay Area, so that we can
attract more and more participants.  Are we working at cross-purposes
here?  Should we start exploring the use of more remote locations to limit
our attendance?

Thanks,
Jim