Overheating battery (MGB)

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Overheating battery (MGB)
From: djd@aurora.arc.nasa.gov (Daniel J. Dasaro)
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 92 10:28:17 -0800
Car: '73 MGB, 2 6 volt batteries

The short form:
What would cause a battery to get real hot and blurt water out of
the vents in the caps?

The long form:
Last night as I was driving up El Camino Real (30mph avenue with
lots of stoplights) I started to notice some electrical problems.
First the tach didn't work right, it moved slowly and stayed at around
2500 most of the time (and I was varying my speed).  Then while stopped
I noticed the dash lights were out and the signal wasn't flashing
regularly.  Fortunately I was close to home.  Above idle things seemed
to work ok.

At home I shut the engine and then could not restart it, little power
to the starter, like a dead battery.  Since the car was just running
I suspected the charging system.  So I checked for loose wires, cleaned
some ground straps, but didn't go further.  Then I opened the battery
compartment and found one battery was pushing water out of the vents in
the caps.  And the battery was hot.  The other one was cool and normal.

I checked the water level in both batteries, it looked ok but I pulled a
little out of the hot battery, then disconnected one lead to open the
circuit and went inside.  Three hours later the battery was still quite
warm, I pulled it out of the car and set it on some paper for the night.
This morning it was cool.

Previous symptoms:
The car usually is not easy to start in the morning, especially after
a few days sitting.  I've checked for electrical leaks (ammeter between
one post of the battery and a lead, pull fuses, etc.) and found none.

So my conclusion is I have a bad battery.  What do you think?
Runaway reaction?  Shorted cell?  Or is it the charging system?

-Dan Dasaro