stereotypes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: stereotypes
From: WILSONHB@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 1994 02:15:10 -0600 (CST)
It's unfortunate what was recently written about British Sports Cars being
bought and restored by affluent 40-50 somethings who don't drive them.  I
suppose it's just a matter of time, but I fear the day when I am afraid to
drive my
Healey 3-4 times a week because of lack of parts availability.  I am 25 years
old and have owned my BN6 since I was 15, having learned to drive on it.  I
inherited the the car from my father who was one of the aforementioned 40-some
things at the time, and (barely, at the time) had the good (or, poor?) sense
to beg him to keep it for me, since he was fed up with it's twice-yearly
repair bills (it got out of the garage twice a year).

Does anyone out there have any demographics on Healey (or British sports
cars in general); who owns them, what the mean and median ages of owners
are, etc.?  Anyone from Moss who reads this list--do you guys have such
figures?  What can we expect for parts supplies in the next 10-20 years?
It seems possible that British sports cars could become what the old
Ford 30s-40s roadster/coupes have become: cars enjoyed by their generation
but virtually undriven today.

Henry Wilson
AHY 100-6 BN6L/2141