RE: Torque settings for Rover exhaust manifolds

To: <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Torque settings for Rover exhaust manifolds
From: "Jim Patterson" <jim@rover-v8.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 12:00:51 +0100
Hi all,
I have scanned the entire  AKM 3616B Workshop manual
The address is
http://members.tripod.co.uk/roverv8/sd1.htm

I still have a lot of work to do linking the site together, but you should
Still be able to find any page you want with a little bit of searching.
For example the Manifold and exhaust section is at
http://members.tripod.co.uk/roverv8/30

This link will take you to a folder containing all the "gif" images for that
section.

As far as exhaust manifold gaskets are concerned, I prefer not to use them.
I have worked on hundreds of these engines and the only problems I have
found
Are on those fitted with gaskets, they tend to blow at the bottom and
usually make a
Tapping noise that sounds mechanical.
I currently own two SD1's, a 1979 V8S and a 1985 VDP EFi (fitted with a
single Garret T3 turbo )
Both of these cars are top of the range models and neither of them is fitted
with exhaust manifold gaskets.

Hedman make two types of gasket, the eight individual ones which are awkward
and fiddly to fit.
They also make make a full length gasket, which in my opinion looks a bit
unsightly.

I agree with Lorne, the locking tabs are a must. I have seen quite a few of
these engines with
Exhaust manifold bolts missing.
ARP make a stainless steel stud kit, which on some cars makes removal and
refitting the manifold
Almost impossible. They also make a stainless steel bolt kit.

I am fairly sure Landrover and Range Rover come with exhaust manifold
gaskets fitted as standard
Hope this doesn't confuse the issue too much.

Jim Patterson
http://www.rover-v8.co.uk/