Re: Fender Liners

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fender Liners
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 20:51:57 -0800
At 10:14 AM 2/4/99 -0800, Toby B wrote:
>Gary Boone wrote:
>This one floated around a few years ago,
>       and seemed like a good idea.  Liners would also protect the fenders
>from dents caused by flung rocks (yeah, I know, it doesn't often
>happen...)
>       I forget- does the cowl vent to the inner fenders?

Yes, that's one half of the problem with rust in the front fenders. Mud
gets packed up between the fender and the door post, then water from the
cowl drain dumps right down on it and both the fender and door post rust
out from the inside. The first clue is when you see a line of rust bubbles
down the fender just ahead of the door. If you ever do a restoration,
undercoat the hell out of that area. A fender liner would have to allow
room for the water to drain from the cowl.
Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org