Re: Backfiring during deceleration...carbs...

To: DemonTSi@aol.com
Subject: Re: Backfiring during deceleration...carbs...
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 17:28:34 PST8PDT
Van asks:
> ...After a little while though, there's a cute backfire that has the typical
>gun
> shot sound... So is this a major problem that I should worry about, or is it
> just typical of a carbed car that can sometimes run a tad rich?

Well, how soon do you want a new muffler? :-)
That cute backfire is an explosion where one shouldn't be occurring.
Do you still have the smog setup? If so, the 'burp valve' may not be
working. But more likely, you have a leak in the exhaust manifold
or plumbing (a leaky exhaust gasket, perhaps). Or the plugs on the
smog ports aren't sealed. You decelerate, the mix goes rich, air gets
sucked into the exhaust manifold (no, really. At idle the smog ports
have a definite vacuum on them!), and *boom*.

-- John