Chroming

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Chroming
From: "Mark" <mruffcorn@ksni.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 17:40:32 -0500
I know this thread was discussed several months ago and wanted to shed some
light on the subject.
I was talking to my chrome man, Chris, about chroming misc. parts
today-getting prices and all.  He isn't set up to do bumpers and I was
asking who I should send them to.  He said you want your chrome to "match".
Evidently, there are two kinds of chrome.  The "old chrome", as I'll call
it, is brighter and more durable.  The "new chrome" is darker and doesn't
hold up to the elements as well.  The reason for the new systems has to do
with the chemicals used and the EPA cracking down.  Chris did not completely
downplay the "new chrome" but emphasized that they should "match" for a
better overall appearance.

A side note: those of you looking for the authentic "satin" headlight
rings-he said satin is easier and cheaper than chrome, as it is merely
chrome plating that hasn't been buffed and polished.  News to me!!

MY question-is it cheaper to buy some of the small interior parts (like door
pulls) than having them chromed?

Hope this information is helpful.