close call... almost had two

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: close call... almost had two
From: "Riedel, Dave" <RiedelD@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 09:10:17 -0700
I've often read posts on this list like:  "Picked up a '68 2000 over the
weekend"
or "Found a 1500 in my friends' Uncle's barn... got it for $500"....

Usually, I just read posts like that and wonder how anybody finds the time
work on more than 1 roadster.  Well, 'over the weekend', I came very close
buying a '66 1600.  It's evident that something comes over you when a
roadster
goes up for sale near your home.  You get these excited feelings of 2 is
better
than 1 and wow, I could have another one in a different colour, or even, in
my
case, a different model.  I have a '69 2000.  A '66 1600 would set me up
with
both engine types and both windshield/dash types (Alan downunder would be
proud that I had come to my senses and bought a 'low screen').

Sadly, closer inspection has revealed the true nature of this beast.  Body
seems
decent (owner says some bondo in one of the 1/4 panels).  Painted maroon.
Has a black hardtop in good shape.  Most of the weatherstripping around the
doors and windows is thrashed.  Clutch is disconnected, no fluid in brake
system.
Engine compartment is clean, but has had rats (living?) in it.  Interior
very musty,
some patches of mildew.  Dash seems in decent shape, but instrument panel
is rusty.  Missing front bumper, rusty rear bumper.  Rusty grill.  No
battery.

The car was bought in '76 from the orignal owner, driven for 10 years then
left.
Apparently, it was running when stored.  There's straw/grass in certain
places
under the car, so I think it may have been stored in the open - but the
paint
sure looks good for that (although a fair bit of bubbling underneath it in
spots).
The undercarriage appears pretty rusty.

The owner wants $1000CDN/AUS ($680 USD).  Initially, that seemed ok, but
with the huge amount of work to get it going - I'd need to get a battery,
lube
things up well, flush out brake lines and check seals.  Rip out carpet and
clean
it up, etc...  What is a car in this sort of shape worth?  If it's going to
get hauled
to the wrecker, I'd probably take it just to keep it alive... or, am I just
crazy and
getting myself in deeper than I should?

(Car is located in Victoria, BC, Canada)

Cheers,
Dave Riedel
'69 2000