Re: she's alive!

To: "shifty" <shifty@well.com>,
Subject: Re: she's alive!
From: Ronnie Day <rday@airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 13:26:44 -0500
>Also put in a new water temp sender. I don't know if the sender for the
>1500 is different than the 1600, but I still get no reading on the gauge.
>I'd like to hook up another gauge. Any problems using an aftermarket
>gauge on a postive ground car?

Congratulations, Leigh. Looks like a number of us are getting our toys
running again. I hope to get one of the 510's on the road in the next
week or so. Regarding aftermarket gauges, I like mechanical gauges as
opposed to most of the electrical gauges I've seen. Most electric gauges
seem to have a scale that covers only about 90 degrees of the dial
whereas mechanical gauges usually provide a 270 degree swept area. Much
easier to just glance at the mechanical gauge and see if it's generally
in the correct range without taking your attention from the road to
actually read the gauge.

In fact I've seen a lot of racers use bits of tape outside the dial to
mark minimum and maximum desired readings. Sort of borrowed the idea from
aviation (I think) where some instrument faces are color coded with
acceptable ranges. I think this is where the term "in the green" came
from. Probably more than you wanted to know.<G>

AutoMeter and VDO both have several gauge series that might compliment
the OEM panel. If you don't have them, I'd suggest getting catalogs from
Jeg's and Summitt. Good information and prices, too.

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@airmail.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)