Re: she's alive!

To: shifty <shifty@well.com>
Subject: Re: she's alive!
From: corcoran <corcoran@bainbridgeisland.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 15:11:20 -0700

shifty wrote:

> Also put in a new water temp sender. I don't know if the sender for the
> 1500 is different than the 1600, but I still get no reading on the gauge.
> I'd like to hook up another gauge. Any problems using an aftermarket
> gauge on a postive ground car?

The temp sender is totally different from a 1600. One has increasing
resistance as temperature increases and the other has decreasing resistance as
temperature increases. A 1600 temp sender in a 1500 will result in the needle
burying it's self in the cold direction and possibly overheating the gauge in
time. The 1500 temp circuit is not affected by battery polarity. It is a
totally resistive set up. The sending unit has an easily dropped screw
terminal rather than the push on bullet connector used in later models. It's
not the most precise temp measuring system! Most of the after market temp
gauges I have seen are mechanical and also don't care about battery polarity.

Tim C
2 '64 1500 Fairlady's