she's alive!

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: she's alive!
From: shifty <shifty@well.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:49:28 -0700
After months of work and lots of parts chasing, at about 6 pm PST last
night, I turned the key and my 1500 started right up. The replacement
head has been redone, valve job, new seats, guides, etc. Radiator recored
to 3 rows.

It is smoking quite a bit, though. Seems like coolant, the smoke is not
very thick and is whispy white, not blue.

I did a dry compression test and found #1 - 140, #2 -140, #3 - 138, #4
142. I did not do a wet test - will do tonight. I plan on retorquing the
head and readjusting the valves, as well.

When the old head cracked, most of the coolant exited through the
tailpipe. I'm hoping that this burning off accounts for some of the smoke.

What else can I check?

Also put in a new water temp sender. I don't know if the sender for the
1500 is different than the 1600, but I still get no reading on the gauge.
I'd like to hook up another gauge. Any problems using an aftermarket
gauge on a postive ground car?

Also, if anyone has a heater core for a 1500 for sale, please let me know!

I drove up and down the street with the hood off and with a big silly
grin on my face. The neighbors now know I'm nuts.

Leigh Brooks
San Francisco