Re: Alternator stuff... AGAIN!

To: road <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alternator stuff... AGAIN!
From: "Thomas Walter" <ra0618@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 21:36:00 -0500
Mike,

For the single wire alternator (GM) they self excite once you generate
enough voltage. You have to get the alternator spinning fast enough
to "turn itself on". Once energized, it will charge just fine at idle.

A "12 volt" relay will operate in a similar way. It needs about 9V to
close, but ONCE closed the relay will stay closed as the voltage drops
as low as 4 Volts.  Datsun used this trick on some later sedans to close
a a relay controlling the heating of a choke element only when the
alternator was running. If the ignition was on, the relay would not
close until the alternator was spinning.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX