alternators, cables and batteries, oh my.

To: "Roadsters (E-mail)" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: alternators, cables and batteries, oh my.
From: "Geoff Rainville" <grainville@ecrix.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 10:32:44 -0600
My plan was to drive the '66 1600 for the rest of the nice weather and then
work on it this winter.
But it died, so I've accelerated the time line here. Or, at least, will have
if I can get some advice from you wise sages of Roadster repair.

-Alternator: the wiring pigtail that goes to the voltage regulator has a
wire completely worn through. Do I need a new alternator, or can that wiring
be replaced? If a new alternator, can I find one that pops right in, or am I
doomed to rewiring?

-Cables: One of the choke cables has broken (aha...those rough cold
starts...this could be a clue). What's the recommendation on that? The hood
release cable is about to go as well, which means that the only way to get
the hood open will be to drive over the railroad tracks, which actually
seems to work well.

-Battery tray: The dead, old, rebuilt, too large battery from the PO was
sitting on what seems to have been a cut-up plastic dustpan (yeah, really),
and was held in place with a bungee cord (see alternator, worn wires,
above). I'm going to replace with a Miata-spec battery, and have found the
tie-down clamps, but no tray. Is there a suggestion for that?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

--Geoff "no honey, you can put your car back in the garage soon, trust me"
Rainville