Re: ADQ vs the smog test, round 2

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ADQ vs the smog test, round 2
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 13:43:40 -0500
>    Two things, first, I ordered the ADQ needles from England and should be
>sending them out in a week or so when they get here. Second, I dropped the
>ADQ needle to .020 and was able to pass the smog test. It ran clean enough
>for a mid 70s car and the drivability was pretty good. If the idle is set at
>750 it is still a bit rich but if you raise it to 1000 - 1100 it leans out
>and passes fine. I had to use the choke until the engine was completely
>warmed up. The engine runs a lot better set richer but you can set it to
>pass smog and still drive home. On the oxygen sensor box you need to have a
>reading of less than 200 mv.

A couple of questions, Keith. Are you going to swap needles again for
daily driving or are you subject to being caught up in random roadside
sniffer tests? Some time ago we here in metropolitan Texas areas had
older cars (more than 25 years old, I think) exempted from emissions
testing. However with the increases in population and decrease in air
quality, particularly in the D/FW and Houston areas, I wouldn't be
surprised to see it reinstated for all road registered cars at some point.

I don't know if they still do the random roadside testing in SoCal, but
they may have added sniffers on on ramps in addition to the sound level
meters that I've heard they use. I know that here the local police sit
next to the stadium parking lot that is often used for autocrosses
measuring noise levels.

I guess Big Brother is still very much with us, far post 1984.

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)