Re: Towing a car for the first time

To: mickth@hotmail.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Towing a car for the first time
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:56:13 EDT
In a message dated 9/14/00 2:41:39 PM !!!First Boot!!!, mickth@hotmail.com
writes:

<<  In a few weeks, I'll be towing a Roadster home. I've towed cars using a
 tow dolly before, but this will be on a flatbed trailor. It will be about a
 2 hour drive. What are some of the things I need to do for safety? Do I need
 wheel wedges? Do I need to strap it down to the trailor somehow? >>

HEllo,

I trailer is the best way to go.  Yes you do need to secure it to the
trailer.  I used four individual wheel harnesses.  They worked great!  But
you do need to retighten them after about 30 or so minutes of driving.  THe
car settles alittle and the harnesses become slightly loose.  Just crank them
down alittle more and you are good for the rest of the trip.

I used to flat tow.  It seemed like alot of wear on the car.  A trailer is so
much better.  One thing that you didnt mention is loading.  Our Roadsters are
very low so you will need to accomodate by having long ramps or your car will
bottom out on the frame or rocker panels.  Good luck and good towing!

Attached site of my racer strapped to the trailer.  Just go to the Racing
Pictures.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=41965&Auth=False

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
67.5 SRL3111-000248 Solex