Re: Towing a car for the first time

To: mickth@hotmail.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Towing a car for the first time
From: Marc Tyler <mtyler@hctc.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:05:05 -0500
Don Miller wrote

>As someone who tows a little (about 8000 miles so far
>this year), Ties and chocks are mandatory. I believe
>in safety out the wazoo. If my trailer ever came off
>the truck, the car would not come off the trailer. I
>use 5000 lb car straps front and rear  one on each
>corner. For the 2 hour tow, You can block in front and
>behind the tires, and use 1000 lb motorcycle tie
>downs, one at each corner. They are like $29 for 4. I
>use car tie downs and they are $80-$100 for 4 from a
>good auto store. Invest in the good ones if you are
>going to tow lots.
>
>I wrap around the front lower a-arm and use the rear
>spring schakles in the back. My car dows not bounce
>alot because of the really stiff springs I use.

I have another question.  If you do tow a car using a towbar, does
registration need to be current on the towed vehicle?  I've just acquired
an L-320 parts truck and it is now in my brother's airplane hanger in
Chico CA.
It's a non runner and not registered.  I'd be towing through CA. AZ, NM
andTX.
hmm...as I actually write this, I'm thinking a flatbed is the way to
go...can probably buy a used one for the price of a U-Haul rental.
opinions?

Marc T.

Marc Tyler
TDROC
1970 1600 #SPL311-31016
1965 L-320 #L320 013642 (the misspent ute)
http://datsun_marc.tripod.com/cgi-bin/Datsun_homepage.html
Sisterdale TX