Re: pipes and hoses

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>, <shifty@best.com>
Subject: Re: pipes and hoses
From: "Damian Hall" <HALLJD@pictou.nscc.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 15:44:51 -0300
You can get a very nice pipe bender from 'RIGID' and your local Snap-On truck
will have a very similar tool. $60-$100 @ (Canadian) Make sure that you buy the
correct size for your line. 3/16 inch

I cannot comment on the Eastwood bender.

As far as making your own  SAE type double-lap flares you can buy a flaring kit
at the same time. Buy one piece of ready made line, and following the
directions, practice until they look the same. Buy a few extra flaring adapters
as you will break some. Also DO NOT use a tubing cutter. Use a fine hack-saw
blade and make sure that your cut is perfectly square. Also, BLOW out the line
before you make the flare so that no metal shavings end up in your brake system.

Out here in Nova Scotia, we regularly replace rotten fuel and brake lines on
cars beginning at about 6 years old., depending on the vehicle. We also
regularly replace rotten oil pans and gas tanks. (same age) I have even had
cars with an oil leak complaint and it turned out to be a rusted oil filter.

I teach my students that if the car/truck is 3 years or older, assume that any
fastener or bleeder screw IS seized, and take the appropriate cautions.

Have fun...it really is not that difficult.

Damian
69  2000

Damian Hall
Motor Vehicle Repair-Mechanical Faculty
NSCC-Pictou Campus
Stellarton NS (902)752-2002
halljd@pictou.nscc.ns.ca

>>> shifty <shifty@best.com> 09/14/00 02:09PM >>>
How hard is it to bend your own brake lines?

Eastwood has a set of brake line bending tools, has anyone used them?

Leigh Brooks
BADROC