Re: Rare Datsun Engine Trivia (+ Competition Time!)

To: Douglas.E.Noble@parsons.com
Subject: Re: Rare Datsun Engine Trivia (+ Competition Time!)
From: RoadsteRob@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 15:38:14 EDT
Douglas.E.Noble@parsons.com writes:
      <<  Alan and Rob,

      I have a interesting Datsun engine trivia question that began as a
      conversation last night at the local Z club meeting.  And since you
      two gentlemen seem to be some of the more knowledge folks about things
      Datsun old, rare, and obscure....

      On Rob's website there is a photo of the 6 cylinder roadster prototype
      at a Japanese race.  Here's the question(s) what was the engine in
      that car?  And, was it the same engine that Datsun used in the
      Fairlady Z 432 (designated S20, 2.0L, 4 valve, 3 Mikuni Solex, dohc, 6
      cyl. engine)?  If so, was it used in any other application?  What were
      its specs?  The Z guys seemed to think that the 432 block was an L24
      block with a different bore and stroke(?).

      Something to keep your minds active going into the weekend.

      Take care, >>

Hi Doug

Thanks for the enquiry. Hope the following helps.

I've copied this into the Roadster List because this little known 1966 2000 S
Roadster was a special car.

The engine in the Fairlady 2000 S Roadster was a Nissan prototype, and the
car was probably the first Datsun/Nissan car with an OHC Unit. The engine was
known as the UY unit and was a 6 cylinder, 12 spark plug, twin distributor
unit - the car stormed the qualifying of the 1966 Japanese GP although she
did not last the race. There is a surviving unit with some parts missing
owned by a member of the Japanese SROC (although the car is believed scrapped
by Nissan - shame). It had Nissan stamped on both cam covers - I have a few
contemporary pics of this car which was a real neat affair, with a
streamlined underside, radiused rear arches, Watanabes and some really neat
features.

Les, fancy building a replica??

Although the 2000 S engine was the forerunner to Nissan's OHC technology it
was not related to the Z432 S20 Unit, which only had the 6 sparkers and which
was taken from the first Skyline GT-R.  The Z432 was advertised as a Z with a
Skyline engine in Japan. The S Series engine of the Z432 was not the same
block as the Z's L Series block, although there were similarities. The L
Series engine of the 240Z was derived from an engine used in the 1968 Skyline
C-10, whereas the GT-R's S Series engine was derived from the Prince GR-8
engine used in the Nissan R380-II race cars. (They were both derived from
Prince technology from the Mercedes-Prince license agreement). (I could go on
and on - somebody shoot me).

Sorry if that's bored the pants off everyone but there's a lot of rubbish
written about the S20 unit which in Japan is still worshipped by tuners and
classic car enthusiasts alike. I nearly imported a Z432 (as well as a Silvia)
a few years ago, but I lost my job - twice - REAL shame.

Competition time - only a small one - coincidentally I have 5 cool UK model
Skyline GT-R 34 brochures to give away to the first 5 correct answers
advising the URL on the website of a pic showing the Fairlady 2000 S Roadster
- hint, use 'exact match' on the Search Engine!

Doug, if you need any further info let me know.

Regards

Rob
<A HREF="http://www.datsun.org/fairlady/";>The Classic Fairlady Roadster
Register</A>