Solex's vs. SU's ..again and again and again...

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Solex's vs. SU's ..again and again and again...
From: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 14:02:34 -0700 (PDT)
Hello All,
        Just because we have not had a good Solex vs. SU thread for a while
I thought I would pose this question.
        Okay besides the cool induction noise of the solex I see the main
differences between the two being..
        Solex's are fixed choke/venturi designs with one carb per cylinder.
        These are 'better' than SU's because at higher rpm's they don't
choke off the engine. No balence tubes between cylinders bad midrange and
off idle performance because of fixed venturi creates less than adequate
vacuum.
        Su's are 'better' because they have a variable venturi which self-
regulates its size so you always have a good vacuum. You get lots better
off idle perfomance and midrange.  They are 'bad' because their maximum
venturi size does not allow enough air/fuel mixture at higher rpm's and it
chokes of the engine. The balance tubes also help smooth out the intake
pulses and you get a smoother running engine.
        Now heres my question:
        Has anybody ever tried fitted bigger su's to a 2000 engine?? What
about fitting 4 SU's to the engine and having one carb per cylinder??  Would
either of these ideas fix the high rpm flow problem?? Could you have a car
that had good off idle performance good midrange and good top end??

                Just Wondering.
                Daniel 69 2000
                SF CA