Re: Solex's vs. SU's ..again and again and again...

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Solex's vs. SU's ..again and again and again...
From: Thomas the Swede <csp311@telia.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 14:59:35 +0200
The main reasons why SU's were so popular with the auto manufacturers
are price and simplicity and they work well on medium output engines.
If SU's work dont mess with them. The reasons to use them in racing
are either regulations or cost. Even Jaguar used Webers (or similar carbs)
on their racing cars. The problem with SU's on street cars is they often fail
the idle speed emission test that is used in many countries in Europe. The
needles wear out quickly with todays gasoline. This require adjusting the
carbs to run rich on idle to run okay while driving without using the choke
all the time.

Given the choise of SU or Weber I would take a Weber set in the correct
size for the application every time. If I'm not restricted to carbs, I use fuel
injection instead. No carbs can match the driveability and power output
from a fuel injection system. The bad thing with fuel injection is the
amount of time it takes to properly adjust it for custom applications.
15-20 years ago Weber carbs were still prefered over Bosch L-Jetronic
with the flap door air mass meter because of better torque with Webers
for Rally car applications but with the introduction of the hot wire air
mass meter the preference changed among these engine builders.

Like you say
My 2 cents worth

Thomas