Re[2]: electrical system questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, Thomas the Swede <csp311@telia.com>
Subject: Re[2]: electrical system questions
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 17:22:30 -0700
Speaking of power uses, I used an adapter to power my cell-phone on the way
back from Shasta. I've got two sockets in my radio console plate - the
stock cigarette lighter socket and a 12V accessory socket. We were at a
McDonalds parking lot. I had a device in the accessory socket, and plugged
the phone adapter in the cigarette lighter socket.

All of a sudden a thick cloud of smoke started pouring from under the dash!
Dana Nojima came running over with a fire extinguisher but I stopped him
from using it while I yanked the wire off from behind the socket. (I didn't
want to clean up after an extinguisher on my nice shiny dash.)

The old socket power connection was shorting against the ground, and there
was no fuse on the connection. I taped it up and we were on the road again.

Moral of the story: 1) put a fuse on any accessory wiring, and 2) discard
the stock sockets and replace only with new 12v accessory sockets (safer).

Fred
BADROC