Re: Pertronics (was olympic glory...)

To: <Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Pertronics (was olympic glory...)
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:23:58 -0700
> Hi Kim,
>
> Also congrats to Chris Thompson!
>
> I didn't like the Pertronics in my cars, so I put points back in. Note that
> I said cars. It was in my '66 1600 when I bought the car and it ran
> sluggish; much better after converting to points. I converted my '70 1600
> to Pertronics and it ran sluggish, so I went back to points. When I rebuilt
> my 2000 into my '66 I installed Pertronics, then went to points. All
> different units on different cars.
>
> I agree, is there a trick to them? Sure, Pertronics don't wear out like
> points (over time) but I tune my cars periodically. AFAIK, don't remove the
> green tape, it stays on.
>
> Fred - So.SF
> BADROC
> P.S. Awesome 80's clear weather!

Hi Fred-

I have always wondered if something was up with the Pertronix'esi.  My '69
is very on and off - sometimes it pulls like a train till 6000, other times
it sputters and shudders at about 4000;  As I have charging problems (15v+)
and haven't investigated float levels, valve adjustments, etc, I can't say
for sure that the EI is the cause.... but now I wonder.  Still have the new
points, might give 'em a shot.

...now I regret passing up that garage sale dwell meter;-)

Kyle
Santa Rosa
PS - agree 110% about the weather, yeehawww!