Sideview mirrors, are they stock?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Sideview mirrors, are they stock?
From: Alex Avery <aavery@rica.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 10:31:28 -0400
We've been wondering ever since Dennis bought this '69 last year whether
the sideview mirrors, mounted on the middle of the front fenders, are a
stock Datsun product or if they were aftermarket mirrors or mirrors adapted
from another car entirely.

Does anyone have any clue?  You can see the car and mirrors at the
following web address or at Roman Rist's roadster registry site.  (Note:
the photo is a 1.2mb file, but I just hate grainy, fuzzy pics, so I loaded
the big pic files)

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/alex280zguy?e&.intl=us&.flabel=fld2&.from=d&.pind
ex=2&start=1&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/alex280zguy%3fd%26.f
label=fld2%26.intl=us%26.src=ph

Thanks for any clues as to the origins of these very cool looking side mirrors.

Also, they need rechroming, but I'm concerned about how to get the mirror
glass out and back in without damaging them.  Any ideas?  I was thinking
that instead of worrying about keeping the original glass and having to
bend the metal rim that holds the mirror glass in, I'd just break the glass
to remove it so as not to damage the metal and then to have new mirror
glass cut slightly smaller than the original opening so that the glass
could be glued in with silicone without having to bend any metal.  Sound
good, or is there a better way.

Alex Avery