RE: gas mileage

To: "'Terry and Donna Cost'" <tcost@vvm.com>,
Subject: RE: gas mileage
From: "Ryan, Richard" <RRyan@frk.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 17:45:40 -0800
100 KPH = 62 MPH

Dick Ryan  ex. 24022
(650)312-4022
Risk Management Dept.
SM 2000/2
FAX (650)312-5830

-----Original Message-----
From: Terry and Donna Cost [mailto:tcost@vvm.com]
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2001 2:49 PM
To: Datsun Roadsters
Subject: gas mileage

Did I miss a posting or two about mileage?  I looked in my official,
bad-english Datsun Sports Service Manual, and there are three graphs which
show running performance curves for SPL311 4-speed, SRL311 SU, and SRL311
Solex.  Unfortunately, it's in metric, but the curves show Running
Resistance (gas mileage as a percent of optimum, I would think) as graphed
with car speed and RPM.  It's page 2 of the SPL and page 10 of the SRL
sections of my manual.The only overlap is the Solex graph at about 2300 RPM,
where 5th and 4th have the same Running Resistance.  Given the brick-like
shape of the Roadster, I doubt that wind resistance plays any part at all in
the fourth or fifth gear choices, especially at the 150-200 KPH that is
graphed. (about 55 MPH, I think. Or maybe 270 MPH.  Metrics is sooo
confusing.)

Leisure Suit Terry