Re: Gas Mileage

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gas Mileage
From: Dat2000srl@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 16:46:25 EST
Perhaps Mike is correct about the efficiency and torque, etc., But I would
think the Nissan engineers took this stuff into consideration when they
decided how to gear the car. Or do you suspect they just threw the 5th gear
in there as a feature? Maybe someone out there knows the answer, but I
believe 5th is most efficient at highway speeds. I have owned several cars
with a 5th gear, they all seemed more efficient in 5th. even a dat B-210, it
would get 50+ mpg in 5th at 60 mph, and I know that was not even close to the
power band, the engine was only revving about 2000 rpm. There was a test on
the efficiency of the B210 and I remember the result were as such:
    70 mph.....5th gear......31 mpg
    60 mph.....5th gear......42 mpg
    50 mph.....5th gear......51 mpg
    40 mph.....5th gear......62 mpg
    30 mph.....5th gear......70 mpg
This was published in Car and Drive in 1980, I don't remember the month, But
I had the car at that time and found their finding very accurate. Of course
the B210 is not a roadster so your results may vary!
Larry
69 2000
Ravens country