Plug Color Mystery

To: "datsun list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Plug Color Mystery
From: "Nathan Ruffcorn" <nruff@famvid.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 20:21:47 -0600
Hey all-

    The weather was great today!  I've been able to get the roadster out for
the past three days straight.  The bugs are slowly getting worked out,
making each run more enjoyable.  As always, it attracts lots of attention.
I'm especially enjoying the 3.9 rearend/2L combination. <grin>  It's easy to
accidentally bark the tires when pulling away from a stop light.  For
leasure driving, out of traffic, I routinely start in 2nd and skip to 4th.

    In an effort to get everything just right, after each run I have been
pulling the # 1 and # 3 spark plugs to judge the mixture of each carb.  The
plugs have been whitish/grey so I've been gradually richening it up.
Yesterday, out of curiosity, I decided to pull all the plugs.  I was REALLY
surprised to find #1 and #3 the same color (whitish/grey) and #2 and #4 the
same (brown).  What am I missing?!  I admit, I'm no master tuner but I know
that cylinder #1 & #2  and #3 & #4 should at least correspond together.

Other factors (symptoms):
-Rebuilt carbs from Z-therapys
-Seems to surge a bit at highway speeds (65-70mph)
-Hesitates under gradual acceleration, but seems to immediately "come alive"
with a heavier foot.

Please let me know if I'm missing anything really obvious.
Man these cars are fun!!

Thanks!

Nathan
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=123299&Auth=false