Singing the praises of the tune up

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Singing the praises of the tune up
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 10:29:31 -0800
Hey All,

After procrastinating for quite a while, I finally got my 1500 tuned up. New
plugs, points, condensor, cap and rotor. Valves and timing adjusted and
carbs adjusted. I also replaced my long broken choke cable and knob with a
correct 1964 1500 cable and knob.

Before the tune I had definite power problems where I could not "pull" the
car through second gear. The carbs would crap out way too early in the power
curve. In a 1500 this is a really big problem as coming out of 2nd gear you
need to be over 30 miles an hour or it is bog city.

So down to CDM I go and got the car tuned. Ed is a whiz with these cars and
got right to work. The only thing that slowed him down was when he tried to
connect the timing light to my alternator and commented that I had no
voltage at the back. He then said "Oh yeah, postive ground." He then went on
to discuss his displeasure at Lucas style electrical systems. For anyone who
has met Ed you know he is a character to say the least.

When I took the car out for its test run after the tune I was amazed that I
got scratch out of my rear wheels. Finally, I could pull to 4500-4800 rpms
in second to almost 40 miles and hour and be high enough in 3rd gear not to
bog.

It's a whole new car with a whole new attitude. My 1500 may not be able to
hang with 1600s and 2000s in brute power, but I think I can hold my own.

Now that the car is tuned up, I am ready for the Trabuco run next Saturday.

See you on the road!

Andrew Murphy
1964 1500 (With all of 88 hp)
1967 2000 Solex (in 1000 pieces)