RE: lowering front end

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: lowering front end
From: John Atchison <jda@srv.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 08:48:11 -0700
I would not recommend heating the front springs and collapsing them.
I did this years ago as a quick lowering attempt
just prior to a SCCA divisional autox race.

One, it's difficult to get the two springs to exactly the same height.
Two, eventually the springs collapsed even more,
resulting in a ride height so low that I scrapped the front spoiler
on every driveway ramp and could no longer get my floor jack
under the front frame rails to jack the car up.
Looked way cool,
and I now had sufficient negative camber for the race tires,
but the steering side rods were hitting on the
suspension eventually, as I went too low with the springs.

One problem led to another,
I ended up pulling the springs out and using Datsun front comp springs,
car is MUCH happier now.

Cheap fixes don't always pay off.

John Atchison
69 2000