oil pump question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: oil pump question
From: lou daly <lou_daly@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:51:55 -0800 (PST)
my 66 shows low oil perssure on the guage
quite low say 0 at idle and 5 at 2000 rpm

i've run it for a couple of hours so far and
after the original smoke cleared there is no smoke
noticible and the engine sounds nice and smoothe a bit
tappety but similar to my 70 which runs well and has
reasonable oil pressure

if i look in at the rockers i see a similar
amount oily wetness on both cars

good advice has told me to put a proper guage on it
and change the oil and filter...

my question relates to the pump itself
it looks basically robust in the diagram
can't imagine the main parts failing

but what about the valve-oil regulator
bits (diag.6 in the parts manual)
looks like the spring could fail
or perhaps some blockage could occur at that point

is it likely that the pump needs changing

is it possible to pull the pan get at the pump
replace it without yanking the motor?

thanks in advance
lou