Re: Old gasoline

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Old gasoline
From: michaelspreadbury@attbi.com
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 21:42:34 +0000
Gary,

Last spring I rescued a Datsun 510 which had been
sitting in a garage for 20 years. As you can guess, the
entire fuel system was junk, it had a half-tank of gas
in it, but the upper half of the fuel tank was full of
rust, and the gasoline had turned into a very nasty
smelling varnish syrup mixture.

After taking a good look at the tank it was obvious that
we would need to replace it with another one. That was
easy enough, but the syrup had also settled into the
fuel lines.

We ended up using cans of carb cleaner, and an air hose
(in a well ventilated space-- in our case, out in the
driveway) to blow out the old mixture. Once we were able
to blow air through the lines, we hooked up an electric
fuel pump and circulated carb cleaner through the lines
until they were clean.

It was a messy, stinky, and time consuming job, but the
car has worked great ever since then!

Since your car has been sitting for half the time that
mine did, I am sure you won't have to do as much work...

Michael Spreadbury
1966 Datsun Roadster (SR20DE power)
1970 Datsun Bluebird SSS Coupe (SR20DET/6-speed project)