Re: Old gasoline

To: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>,
Subject: Re: Old gasoline
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 13:15:00 -0800
Gary McCormick wrote:

>  as to what I can expect to find in the tank of my Roadster when I get
>started on
> resurrecting her this spring - gasoline or some unspeakable toxic sludge? The
>car was
> parked with approximately a half tank of gas in October 1990.

Toxic sludge,  :-) more than likely.  Put a large drain pan
under the gas tank and take out the drain plug.  Get all of
that old gas out of there and then unbolt the tank and go
to the local car wash and pressure wash out the tank and then
rinse good with water.  Then let it dry.  Look inside to see
how much rust is in there.  I have this tool from sears called
bend a light.  A small light bulb on a long wire like tip.  You
can put that light into small holes and it lights up things and
you can see the condition of the tank relatively easily.  A very
handy tool.  If you are lucky, your tank will be clean and you
will just need to re-install it.  There are 2 wires to the sender,
the breather and filler hoses, fuel line and the strap bolts for it
to come out.