RE: RE:Vendor Uproar

To: "'Roman Rist'" <roadsterregistry@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: RE:Vendor Uproar
From: "Robbie Harrison" <robbieharrison@home.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 02:46:57 -0500
MOST of the drive train for mine came from Dean, as I found from the
pile of receipts provided by Bob Joyce, the previous owner. Back in
85-86 I bought a lot from Dann for my first roadster. I've since bought
from just about all the known vendors, and will continue to do so. Marc
and CDM seem to be the only ones interested in slamming Dean, in the
posts I've gone back through. At the bottom I've attached CDM's post
from 6/6/2001 (I suspect we've all seen Marc's recent ones), the only
one I've found ripping Dean since April 2001 - and I've still got every
post.
I almost didn't post this to the list because I agree that the vendor
wars are a load of #### and just wish everybody would play nice, so I'm
hesitant to escalate it any further. This is a great list, and the
apparent persecution of one vendor rubs me wrong. Pam's right, we should
all just play nice, but the way I was raised when somebody picks on
somebody else that does not deserve it, you shouldn't let it slide. Dean
never asked me for anything, other than to accept his apology when I got
sent out to Hollywierd on short notice for one day and I didn't get to
meet him because he was going out of town.

Can't we all just get along?
Robbie
'68 2000

CDM's 6/6/2001 post:

In the last few days we have received several complaints from people
about a spam email promotion sent out on behalf of Dean at Fairlady
Products that implies that they have received the email because of their
participation in this year's Solvang show. The concerns raised have been
about our selling or giving away the Solvang show's mailing list without
telling people we were going to do this. It is true that Dean tried to
get flyers included in the registration package, and that these flyers
did imply that Dean expected to receive the mailing list from the show.
However, at no time did Dean discuss this with me or Joe. We were quite
surprised when we saw these flyers. It has *always* been policy of the
Solvang show that the Solvang mailing list was not to be shared, given,
or sold to *any* vendor, and that vendors were not to try and get or use
the mailing list to promote their businesses. In all the years that I
put on the Solvang show, I never used the mailing list to promote my
business, and I have steadfastly refused all requests by others to do
so. For this reason, I did not give Dean's flyers to Joe and did not
allow them to be otherwise distributed. The use of the mailing list from
the show by *anyone* for any reason, other than something directly
related to the show itself, is not allowed, and nothing suggesting that
this would be handled any other way will be allowed either. Joe left
this decision to me, because of the fact that over the years I
personally have been responsible for creating and maintaining the
mailing list.

Apparently someone has created a list of some sort and sent out an email
to that list that implies some sort of connection to the Solvang show
and offers a so called "gift" based on the recipient's participation in
the show. This has nothing to do with the show and the list was not
derived from the Solvang show's mailing list. Dean was in no way
involved either as a participant or a sponsor in this year's Solvang
show and what he is doing has nothing to do with the show, despite what
the email may imply.

While I have some very clear personal opinions about spam,
misrepresentations, and attempts to cash in on the hard work of
enthusiast volunteers who work so hard to make events like Solvang work
(everyone say, Thank You Joe!), I am not using this to comment on those
issues. I simply wanted to assure everyone that the mailing list from
the Solvang Show is not, will not, and never has been made available to
anyone. Not even sponsoring vendors are given the mailing list.
Furthermore, I want to give my personal assurance that this will not be
changed in the future without clear advanced notice, and without giving
everyone the opportunity to "opt out" and keep their information
private.

I apologize for using the list to deal with this administrative issue,
but I wanted to assure everyone as quickly as I could that this is not
what it is made to look like, and that no one has been allowed to use
the Solvang mailing list.

--
Les Cannaday
Dennis Currington