Re: another steering question (i.e. Rack & Pinion)

To: <WisslerJon@aol.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: another steering question (i.e. Rack & Pinion)
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 19:32:09 -0500
I'm sure if it could be done it would have been done by one of the many
racers, in particular the Harvey brothers, who I have been told, heavily
modified their car.

I don't think the design of the front frame allows this conversion. If the
front end of a Mustang is welded to the frame, after the frame has been cut
of course, perhaps then it may work. Seems when all is said and done it will
cost nearly as much as a rebuilt front end, providing the conversion works.

Lower BJs are very important because if they fail your suspension can and
will seperate. I have seen this happen many times on cabs and limos.

Let's face it you're going to have to dig deep into your pockets to get the
steering/suspension to work well (or safely) and if you live in a state that
requires a safety inspection, to pass inspection. I just bought 2 new lower
BJs and it set me back about 270 and that's with a 20% discount and no tax
or shipping. I want them sitting on my shelf because when they're gone,
they're gone and one day I may need them. Same for all the steering
components which I bought over the years.

Unfortunately some of the steering parts are NLA or so I've been told. To
use a Roadster as an everyday car is expensive which is why I bought a
Miata. When I first restored my car in 1980 I didn't think twice about using
it as an everyday summer car but parts were way cheaper and most
importantly, available. Even in 79 when I bought all my parts BJs were 40
each which was quite expensive.

FWIW, I have a 1971 JC Whitneys catalog and they were $5 each :(

Mike