Re: another steering question (i.e. Rack & Pinion)

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: another steering question (i.e. Rack & Pinion)
From: WisslerJon@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:14:06 EST
In a message dated Thu, 21 Feb 2002  4:28:01 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Peter
Long" <Peter.Long@ecologic.ca> writes:

> Has anyone done a successful rack & pinion swap into a Roadster?
>
> If so, I'd love to hear about it.
>
> Pete Long

I was about to post the same question.  My 69 SRL undoubtedly needs some front
end work.  However, I'm not astute enough to know what it REALLY needs, or if I
plan to go through the whole shebang, what should the top priority.  The
mechanic I often rely on, USA Performance in PDX, suggested that the stock
Roadster steering is antiquated, has way too many moving parts subject to
failure, and would cost me a mint to completely refresh.  I've already had the
upper A arm bushing replaced.  He suggested that if I was going to spend
upwards of a grand going through the whole thing, I would be miles ahead by
converting to a rack and pinion setup.  He thinks the Ford Pinto/MustangII
setup would go in without a whole lot of fussing around, though he has not
tried it before.  I'm reluctant to use my car as the guinea pig, plus I'm not
convinced that the original configuration can't yield extremely satisfactory
results.  Any thoughts from those of you more experienced than I?  If I go
stock, where is the most bang for the buck?  Steering gear, ball-joints,
tie-rod ends????  Anybody out there already done a rack and pinion conversion,
and if so, are you happy with the results?